Staffordshire Dog Swallows Video Tape Undergoes Surgery

Staffordshire Dog Swallows Video Tape Undergoes Surgery. A Dog named Terrier Rocco in Staffordshire was left fighting for life after it swallowed Nintendo game tape. However, after undergoing a life saving emergency and surgery, it survived and is recovering. It was taken to vet charity PDSA’s Glasgow Shamrock Street Pet Hospital after he began vomiting and could not eat.

Staffordshire Dog Swallows nintendo Video Tape Surgery
Staffordshire Dog Swallows Video Tape Undergoes Surgery

After an X-ray of the four-year-old dog, results showed a rectangular-shaped object in his small intestine, a Nintendo DS cartridge.

The owner of the pet Sean Johnston, 27 had this to say:
“He wasn’t acting himself at all and we were worried he’d eaten a corn on the cob, but we were so shocked when the vet said it was from a video game.
We don’t own a Nintendo or anything like that so we’re baffled as to where he got it from. He’s a rescue dog and we’ve only had him for about six months so the only thing we can think is that it was from his previous owners – who knows how long it’s been in there.
Even though we haven’t had him that long, he’s already such a big part of the family, so we’re delighted to have him back home.”

On the other hand, PDSA senior vet Susan Hermit had this to say in her statement:
“We see dogs that eat strange things all the time but none of us had ever seen anything like this.
Objects can sometimes sit in the stomach for a while, but they cause problems when they try and push through the guts, which are much narrower.

It was a good job Sean brought Rocco in when he did, as an object of this size trying to pass through the guts could have caused a deadly blockage or pierced his internal organs.”